Can one do point interpolation with VTK.js?

Hi I am interested in knowing if Point Interpolation is possible using VTK.js.

My use case is for CFD data post processing data analysis where I have for example two PolyData objects with similar but not equal meshes and their respective Point Data such as Total Pressure Coefficient.

I am interested in plotting the delta between the two of them.
My current pipeline (in Python) is using vtkPointInterpolator to create a mapped object that I know is “aligned” and can be used to perform a subtraction.

I’m unsure if this is the best course of action but I am wondering if something similar is possible using VTK.js alone?

Unless such filter get implemented you may still need to rely on some server processing.

What do you mean by “similar but not equal meshes”. Do you mean the geometry may be different ?

What we have done in the past with VTK.js is a GPU comparison between 2 views with 2 different meshes with almost identical geometries. The first view is rendered without “shading”, the framebuffer captured and sent to the 2nd view for texture subtraction and rendering on a geometry with “shading” this time.

Of course the camera should be synchronized between the views, and the geometry between the meshes very similar but it is quite fast (because GPU).

Thank you both for the quick replies.

@finetjul I mean exactly what you said, they are CFD results. The goal is to compare between two similar but different geometries of a car. They could be in the form of 2D slices or surfaces.

Currently we have a server-side solution that does point interpolation between the two meshes using vtkPointInterpolator and a shepard’s kernel to find the nearest point on the geometry to compare. This is a slow process for us. So even just using something like that on the server would be a massive improvement.

The reason I was looking into frontend interpolation is because I am running an experiment on moving our backend code from Python to Rust and then do client-side rendering. But that’s another story ahah.

What you said seems very, very interesting. Is there an example that I can have a look at? I would be super interested in understanding how to achieve that.

Thank you both again!