Compiling VTK with OSPRay + Java wrappers enabled

Hello,
After a long hiatus, I’ve recently started picking up VTK, and WOW, so much progress and new features to play around with. Kudos to all involved!
On to the question…
I have been evaluating language support of various features of VTK and ran into some issues with raytracing support via OSPRay.

• I was able to build and run the examples in C++.

• I then transitioned to prototyping in python and that worked pretty flawlessly.

• Next, trying jvm support and I ran into an issue compiling VTK with OSPRay with java wrappings enabled.
    I’m compling with jdk 8 but the source target still seems to be 1.7. There are a few warnings during the build about that but the main error is with linking the vtkOSPRayMaterialLibaryJava…I get the following error:

➜ make -j8 | grep Error
     Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
        _vtkObject_Typecast, referenced from:
      _vtkOSPRayMaterialLibrary_Typecast in vtkOSPRayMaterialLibraryJava.cxx.o ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
            clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
            make[2]: *** [lib/java/vtk-Darwin-x86_64/libvtkRenderingRayTracingJava.jnilib] Error 1
            make[1]: *** [Wrapping/Java/CMakeFiles/vtkRenderingRayTracingJava.dir/all] Error 2
            make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
            make: *** [all] Error 2

Has anyone been able to successfully compile VTK with OSPRay + Java wrappers enabled?

• VTK: 9, using master of git
commit 42d63c20859215e5a455d91f0f7c9a816d69805e (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD)
Merge: 64a1eddb20 122a7fed59
Author: Ben Boeckel <ben.boeckel@kitware.com>
Date:   Thu Mar 11 13:42:57 2021 +0000

Merge topic 'cmake-cleanups'

122a7fed59 vtkSimpleImageFilterExample: deprecate example class
    a30797d087 cmake: quote variable expansions
    6b1e5bed8f cmake: prefer `foreach (IN LISTS)`
    b0eae3fc55 cmake: use PRIVATE_CLASSES where possible
    7fe5cc86a8 cmake: sort file and class listings

Acked-by: Kitware Robot <kwrobot@kitware.com>
    Merge-request: !7734

Thanks for any advice here
Gerrick

The dependencies for the module might be mislabeled.

In the file Rendering/RayTracing/vtk.module can you try moving VTK::CommonCore from the PRIVATE_DEPENDS section to the DEPENDS section?

Since vtkOSPRayMaterialLibrary is a direct subclass of vtkObject, the CommonCore module is a direct dependency of RenderingRayTracing. The wrappers need these dependencies to be correct.

It looks like when vtkOSPRayMaterialLibrary was added to VTK, the module file should have been updated but wasn’t.

1 Like

Yup, that was exactly it! Should I file a ticket or what is the process you all are using to get that updated?

If you’re willing, you can submit a merge request. The process is described here.

Briefly, you can make a topic branch with the fix:

checkout -b renderingraytracing-depends

and then submit the fix to gitlab:

git gitlab-push 

After doing this, a “Create Merge Request” button should appear at the top of the VTK merge_requests web page.

Java 1.7 is the minimum requirement, so JDK1.8+ is fine.

Submitted: https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/-/merge_requests/7799#