Deadline for VTK 9.1 RC1 Merge Requests: October 29, 2020

To help the VTK community better anticipate VTK’s release schedule, we are posting a feature deadline for the next release cycle of October 29, 2020. We are hopeful that this approach will give the community enough time to better plan their workflows around VTK’s release, and we think it will help keep the release team vigilant about regularly cutting releases in the future. This does not necessarily mean we will not have a minor release until after the posted date, but it does give some assurances that a release will occur soon after the deadline. Please let us know what you think!

3 Likes

I LOVE THIS. One my of my bigger complaints was not having any insight into when the next release may be…

Yes, not knowing is what ends up with the stampede of “oh, I need this fixed too” MRs after we announce rc1. Hopefully this will allow us to say “sorry, you had 6 months to get this ready” for such things instead of pushing the release back further and further…

Basically, if you have some use case that is not covered by our CI today, now is the time to start that process with a nightly builder or, at the least, an issue to bring it to our attention. I hope to be getting gitlab-ci up and running more of our target setups over the summer.