Is it possible to turn off triangles on vtkClipDataSet filter?

This did it!! So far I am having success with the vtkTableBasedClipDataSet filter and using it the same way as I would a vtkClipDataSet filter. Thanks for your input, @Vincent_Rivola!

vtkTableBasedClipDataSet provides exactly what I want! Preserved cells where the clip doesn’t happen and intersection polygons along the implicit clip function:

One last lingering question…

Is there any advantage to using vtkClipVolume over vtkTableBasedClipDataSet for vtkImageData? From my perspective it looks like I always want to use the vtkTableBasedClipDataSet filter because it will preserve the cells in the image data while vtkClipVolume triangulates the volume.

Use of vtkClipVolume with vtkImageData (plane clip):

Use of vtkTableBasedClipDataSet with the same dataset and clip function. Note that there are no triangulated cells which is likely preferred when working with vtkImageData:

Bane,

As you discovered, looks like TableBasedClipDataSet is the way to go. I ran it on the data you provided and got this result.
BTW: Can I use your dataset in the VTKExamples Project?

TableBasedClip

That should be fine!

Also, any input on this new thread which is highly related would be greatly appreciated!: Box clip with vtkTableBasedClipDataSet and sharp edges? - #2 by banesullivan

I’ve added two nex examples to the VTKExamples Project. They illustrate the difference between vtkTableBasedClipDataSet and vtkClipDataSet.

1. ClipUnstructuredGridWithPlane
  2. ClipUnstructuredGridWithPlane2

The former is faster and produces many fewer cells because it retains the original cells outside the clip boundary. See the difference in these images:
TestClipUnstructuredGridWithPlane
TestClipUnstructuredGridWithPlane2

If you have been using vtkClipDataSet you may wish to switch to vtkTableBasedClipDataSet.

Thanks to Bane Sullivan for bringing up the original problem and for helping to track down a solution.

Also, he provided a great unstructured grid test dataset.

1 Like