Possible issue in vtkloguru with musl in 9.1.0

Hello,

I received a bug report from a machine running musl when building vtkloguru module[1].

After looking into this, I noticed, there’s some logic in KWSys which handles missing execinfo.h properly. The build log attached at the bug report also shows, that the file is not found. Shouldn’t loguru.cpp use this info and check for the file before trying to #include it?

[1] 873601 – sci-libs/vtk-9.1.0-r2 fails to compile (MUSL): loguru.cpp:98:18: fatal error: execinfo.h: No such file or directory

How is loguru upstream handling musl support? Does Alpine carry patches that should be sent upstream?

Looks like upstream doesn’t handle musl. The code looks like the files in vtkloguru. I don’t know how Alpine handles patches, on Gentoo we don’t have the package available.

Upstream has an open issue for about 4 years on this[1] which isn’t yet resolved.

[1] https://github.com/emilk/loguru/issues/69

In that case, you can just set VTK_ENABLE_LOGGING=OFF (and VTK_MODULE_ENABLE_VTK_loguru=NO to ensure it) for musl builds in the meantime.

I’ve subscribed to the issue at least and can cherry-pick whatever is accepted into our copy when that happens.

Thanks, that’s what I was planning to do