StructuredGrid and RectilinearGrid in VTKHDF format

Hi,

I’ve got a quick question about StructuredGrid and RectilinearGrid data in the newer VTKHDF format. While it’s quite easy to represent these using the ImageData or UnstructuredGrid file formats already defined (with a little postprocessing of the inputs to match the final format), I’m wondering if there will also be standalone definitions of these formats for VTKHDF?

I was surprised to see that they were not already defined which makes me assume that the intention is for VTKHDF to only support the current .vti/.vtu/.vtp formats. Is this the case?

Indeed, those dataset types are not yet supported, and not even on the VTKHDF roadmap. The reason is that no one has seen it as a high enough priority to add support for those dataset types by either 1). contributing the format and code changes to VTK or 2). hiring a company like Kitware to add support for them. I would expect support for vtkStructuredGrid and vtkRectilinearGrid to be added eventually.

Thanks for the clarification.

The fact that they were not even mentioned on the roadmap made me think that there was not going to be support at all, rather than it has not been allocated resources yet.

For the file format, I can very easily generate a hdf file along the lines of the existing specs to show how a vtr/vts file might look, but I’m afraid the implementation aspect would be well beyond my capabilities.

I’ll keep an eye on the roadmap for any further information on these formats.

1 Like

FYI your not the first person to talk about supporting such vtk data type: https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/-/issues/19379

As Cory said, its not plan for now but it’s definitively something that VTKHDF should support in the future

Thanks for pointing me towards the related feature request.