Update on Vulkan Support

Is there any kind of roadmap or update on supporting either macOS Metal or Vulkan in VTK? Time is marching on and at some point sooner rather that later those of us trying to support macOS will have a decision to make regarding either walking away from macOS support or walking away from VTK.

Mike Jackson

I believe the plan is to add Vulkan support (no timeline as of yet) and then use MoltenVK or a similar bridging library to support Metal.

Cc: @ken-martin

I am actively developing a vulkan backend at least to the point where if apple removes OpenGL we can pretty quickly get something going for VTK. It will use MoltenVK to drive Metal. It exists and passes some tests. It is currently missing an absurd number of features but it is what I am working on right now and I plan to continue fleshing it out for at least a couple more weeks if not more. My current goal is risk mitigation so that should something happen we have a reasonable head start on addressing it.

It would be nice sometime in the next few months to start preparing/examinging what changes would be required in PV to use vulkan. Right now PV directly interfaces with some OpenGL classes and that would need to be rersolved.

1 Like

@ken-martin Thanks for the update. It is nice knowing that some work is going on in the background. I can’t predict the future and I have no “insiders” information at Apple but my guess is that macOS 10.16 that comes out this fall (assumes that Apple sticks to this schedule) would still have OpenGL but I’m fairly sure 10.17 that would come out in fall of 2021 would have OpenGL removed.