The VTK maintenance team is happy to announce that VTK 9.0 has entered the release candidate stage!
You can find the source, data and documentation tarballs here.
Take a look at the VTK wiki for a complete list of API changes in v9.0.0 over the previous version.
Please try this version of VTK, and report any issues to the bug tracker so that we can try to address them before VTK 9.0.0 final. Kindly set the 9.0 milestone on your issue and merge requests for 9.0 to ensure that they are tracked during the remainder of the release process. Further, please base / rebase all 9.0 target branches off of the v9.0.0.rc1 tag to ensure minimal merge conflicts with the release and master branches.
The official release notes will be available when VTK 9.0.0 final is finished in the next few weeks. In the meantime, here is a preview of the significant changes and new features:
- An update to VTK’s CMake build system to use modern CMake practices
- Image data with their own orientation descriptions
- Addition of arbitrary-order Bezier finite elements
- Introduction of explicit structured grids
- GPU-accelerated ray tracing with NVIDIA OptiX
- GlITF 2.0 Support
We hope you enjoy this release of VTK!
As always, contact Kitware and the mailing lists for assistance.