VTK-9.1.0 with FFMPEG-5.0 ?

Hi, all:

I’m trying to build **VTK-9.1.0 ** on Ubuntu 22.04, with gcc-11.2.
with VTK_BUILD_ALL_MODULES ON.

And I’ve already installed FFMPEG-5.0 on my system. It looks so far VTK-9.1.0 is NOT compatible with FFMPEG-5.0 ?

VTK not found in GDCM_VTK_DIR="".
 SplineDrivenImageSlicer: Building as a Remote VTK module
 Could NOT find FFMPEG: Found unsuitable version "N-106802-g767f66ea5d", but required is at least "5.0.1" (found /usr/local/include, found components: avformat avcodec avutil swscale swresample)
 CMake Error at CMake/vtkModule.cmake:4403 (message):
   Could not find the FFMPEG external dependency.
 Call Stack (most recent call first):
   IO/FFMPEG/CMakeLists.txt:1 (vtk_module_find_package)

Did anybody meet the same issue?

Well, we’re not compatible with…whatever that is. I’ve tested with 5.0 and it works fine, but it looks like your distro uses git snapshots which reports itself as some unintelligible version, so yes, we error when we get such nonsense as the version number.

VTK requires 2.3.3, so I have no idea where the 5.0.1 request is coming from.

Oh… Hi, @ben.boeckel , I modified that file, manually changed from 2.3.3 to 5.0.5

Even without any modification, the above ERROR messages are still there…

For the future, mentions of changes you made help to dispel lots of confusion :slight_smile: .

Yes, the version number extracted from your FFmpeg build is still nonsense. Our code does different things based on the version number we detect (namely what libraries we end up linking to), so it cannot just be ignored. Your FFmpeg build will need to offer a sensible version. Alternatively, the FindFFMPEG.cmake module could be updated to get a sensible version number from your build if that information lives somewhere.