It’s about time for a VTK release. The CI dashboards have been stabilizing fairly well and it seems like a good time to start cutting a release.
- Sep 27: branch and create
- Oct 4:
rc2and bugfix focusing (CI should be solid by this point)
- Oct 11:
rc3if needed (final if possible); revert becomes more likely for issues that arise
- Oct 18:
rc4if needed (final if possible); platform/compiler fixes only by now
- Oct 25:
rc5if needed (final if possible)
- Nov 1: final release (if all else fails)
First up, the next release is planned for about 6 months from now (late March/early April) with a similar schedule (see below). So if you miss this release, the next one shouldn’t be too far away. With CI and the robot able to help out more and the release process being more structured, there isn’t as much manual work involved anymore.
Second, there are many features and changes which are not mentioned in release notes. It’d be nice to get these in before we collate them (those added after the branching will need backported to add to both
release). I would recommend perusing the
Documentation/release/dev directory to make sure that any contributions are mentioned that should be in the release notes. Release note MRs should be prioritized.
Third, it is up to code authors to ping reviewers for MRs. We cannot commit to reviewing everything just because it was submitted, sorry. Please tag MRs with the
9.1 milestone to at least get some metadata wrangling involved.
Fourth, in order to keep the release under control, as we get closer to the final release, features are likely to be reverted rather than waiting for a fix (waiting for fixes that never happened is why 8.2.1 never got released). If a problem is there on Monday and you can get to it on Thursday, it is likely to be reverted until it can be fixed. In order to bring the change back, running
git revert -m1 $merge_commit will undo a merge and can be added to the MR that fixes it up. Alternatively, the branch can just be redone as if from scratch; up to you.
Note that Python 3.10 is currently slated for Nov 2, but we cannot wait for it because it could slip as well. We’ll make wheels when it comes out and the builds work, but it’s not likely to happen for the release itself. A
9.1.1 can be made to add support as well.