Cube in cube

Hello all, I have the following problem that I don’t know how to solve…:

I’ve successfully created 3D volume (reconstruction) from the DICOM MRI slices. What I need now is to create (imaginary) cube that will progressively move inside the reconstructed volume. I need to work further with the cube content. For better description and understanding - I need to move some “cube mask” , by a similar way as convolution mask in 2D image.
I have no clue how to do it…
Thank you for any advice and have a nice day!

OK, as nobody gave me any advice, I’ve found one possible solution by myself. Maybe it can help someone with a similar question :slight_smile: So, my solution is using a vtkBoxWidget.
Of course, if someone has better advice, I’ll be happy to know about it. Thank you and have a nice day!

It seems this forum has few active developers visiting, but I am new… so wouldn’t know for sure. =) Perhaps a look at ImplicitPlaneWidget2 example may help.

Wish I could offer more input, but the code base for libvtk is a little overwhelming when there is some nonstandard use-case you want to solve. I may switch to vcglib for my toy project if the libvtk documentation gets any clearer. lol =)

Cheers,
J

On the contrary, there are several developers monitoring this feed.

Note however, that the challenge is often that 1) some questions can require hours of effort to answer, time which is hard to come by; 2) the questions are often devoid of enough detail so it’s hard to figure out what is actually being asked; 3) the questions reveal that the user needs to do more work to learn the basics of VTK, and related fields like graphics and visualization.

To improve your chances of receiving help, it’s important to ask focused questions; give enough background information to provide context and motivation; provide simple examples / code that demonstrates issues; and do what you can to come up the learning curve. This shows respect for the developer and user community. And also, you can earn bonus points by contributing code, examples, documentation, testing machines, and anything else that helps the community.

Hi Will,
My first direct contact with the project was though the bug reporting system. =)

I wouldn’t mind your opinion on whether libvtk is in an Ivory Tower situation, or people just have issues with the API themselves. The old YT series posted by Han-Wei Shen offers some conceptual hints, but one must admit empty doxygen entries for a mature library gives a bad impression to new users.

Often, even an “I don’t know”/“TLDR”/“RTFM” is more polite than ghosting users asking for general advice or guidance. =)

Cheers,
J

Hi all, thank you for your replies.

Finally the best solution for me was to use vtkExtractVOI.
It does exactly what I need.

Hopefully my solution will help someone with similar question :slight_smile:

Have a nice day all!

Jirka