Export from VTK to LumionRT - with colors

I’m trying to assist a colleague in creating some “interface” between VTK generated models and LumionRT, where we seek to extract a colored poly data mesh to Lumion, so far without success.

I can easily extract this data as a .PLY file or a simple .vtk file and view it in Paraview. However, finding some format in which Lumion can actually read this proves troublesome.

I tried creating .OBJ and .MTL files, but I can’t get Lumion to get any information from the .MTL file (I also tried with Blender, again without success).

Lastly, I tried exporting a .VRML file, but in this case the only coloring I got was 1 color per actor, not useful.

Does anyone here have any experience with this? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Have you tried vtkOBJExporter? It exports the renderer content as an obj+mtl file that Blender shows with correct colors.

Thank you for your answer.

I did use the obj exporter. At first I could not this working with Blender, but I got it working eventually.

I’m visiting my colleague soon, so I can try hands on to assist in Lumion.

But I do believe that OBJ is the way to go right now.

I will try to explain the issue better, sadly didn’t have the time to do this thoroughly yesterday.

Even though I think the OBJ exporter works as intended, it appears to only provide me with the solid color set to the actor. In this case I have multiple actors colored this way, and one Glyph actor showing roughly 1000 Glyph spheres, all colored by point data using an UnsignedCharArray with RGB values. All these spheres are showing up white, as I’m not assigning the actor a color.

Is there a way to get these RGB values to the .mtl file?

Tube current OBJ exporter only considers actor color. For more sophisticated coloring you may need to create a texture image and map colors from the surface to this image.

Alright, thanks for your time!

I will get on to create a texture image.