hard crash on vtk 8

We currently have an app that runs on vtk 6.3, using Java, and we’re working on getting things to run on 8.1.2. We’ve built the new libs, and updated DYLD_LIBRARY_PATHs accordingly to point to the new jnilibs.

I’m getting a fatal error from a deg fault that is dumping info to a hs_err file (I would attach it but I am too new to the discourse to do so). The top of the stack in that file is:

j vtk.vtkGenericOpenGLRenderWindow.Render_31()V+0
j vtk.vtkGenericOpenGLRenderWindow.Render()V+1
j vtk.rendering.jogl.vtkAbstractJoglComponent$1.display(Lcom/jogamp/opengl/GLAutoDrawable;)V+16
j jogamp.opengl.GLDrawableHelper.displayImpl(Lcom/jogamp/opengl/GLAutoDrawable;)V+62
j jogamp.opengl.GLDrawableHelper.display(Lcom/jogamp/opengl/GLAutoDrawable;)V+2
j com.jogamp.opengl.awt.GLJPanel$Updater.display(Lcom/jogamp/opengl/GLAutoDrawable;)V+200

Which to me looks like a JNI problem, but I’m not sure. Any thoughts on this? We’d really like to modernize our app, and this is a major hurdle. Thanks!

Josh

To make sure it is not a build issue of VTK, can you reach out to me privately so I can share a VTK build for macOS so you can try it out?

Best way to do that?

email firstname.lastname@kitware.com

Sent, thanks!

OK, so it looks like the prebuilt libs seemed to get past my problems. Now I’m working on making sure I can build them myself.

My one concern is that the vtk-superbuild project only refers to a max of VTK7 (the BUILD_VTK7 flag, for example) - if that flag is set it will use OpenGL2, otherwise it uses OpenGL. I’m going to run it with that flag set to true (even though I am building VTK8.2), but that flag should probably be renamed if it is valid for anything > VTK 7. I’ll report back here when I know more.