How to build vtkDicom in Windows10??

@dgobbi Hello,
I tried to build vtk8.0 with option vtk-module-vtkDicom using gdcm2.8.0(after Cmake build).
CMake configure and generate hasn’t error, but all_build occured error in vtk.sln .
Can you explain in detail how to build a in Windows 10?
Thank you.

For building VTK-8.0 with vtkDICOM, the recipe is as follows:

1. Open the “Developer Command Prompt for VS 2019” (or whichever version of Visual Studio you are using).
  2. Create an empty directory for the build, e.g. C:\VTK8-Build
  3. Then cd into the build directory and run cmake:
cmake /path/to/VTK -DModule_vtkDICOM=ON -DUSE_GDCM=ON -DGDCM_DIR=/path/to/gdcm

The /path/to/gdcm should point to the directory in the GDCM installation that contains the file “GDCMConfig.cmake

If cmake succeeds, then you should be able to build VTK.sln. If it fails, then tell me what the error message is, and I will try to find out what went wrong.

Thank you for reply. @dgobbi
I can’t understand “1. Create an empty directory for the build, e.g. C:\VTK8-Build
2. Then cd into the build directory and run cmake:” these commnet.
I am using CMAKE-GUI. And I tried to build with VTK9.1 include USE_GDCM(gdcm2.8.0/lib/gdcm2.8.0 GDCMConfig.cmake) and checked Module_Enable_vtkDicom then I succeed configuration and Generate. and then I don’t occured error in All_build , INSTALL .
but when I using this VTK’s lib , I occured error like this photo.
(when I build vtk8.0 with vtkDICOM , I get the same error like photo)

The error shows that it is not correctly linking to the GDCM libraries.

What do you use for GDCM_DIR? Did you build GDCM yourself? Did you use the same compiler as for VTK?

@dgobbi
I’m using GDCM build by myself. Now I will retry to build GDCM withou vtk_dir and VTK with USE_GDCM.
When I build the GDCM2.8.0 and VTK8.0 , I use this compiler like photo.

As a result of the above picture, the All_build process in VTK.sln, QtRendering project failed due to a QPainter override error. So I will tri to build with VS2019,x64,V141 for gdcm-2.8.0 and VTK8.0 in CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH = Qt5.15.2 .

every try is fail…
What is the best configuration (Qt Version, VTK Version, GDCM Version) to build a VTK for QT?

@dgobbi
After I succeed build within VTK9.1, then I build the vtk-Dicom without GDCM(Qt5.15.2 of msvc2019,VTK9.1,GDCM3.0.8).
and I am trying to build VTK8.0 with vtkDicom with use_gdcm_on , but GDCM Directory is not have library folder in cross compile’s result of GDCM(gdcmconfig.cmake). so I add path of GDCM’s path/Debug/lib/GDCM-2.8.0 , I succeed to build ALL_BUILD project in Debug mode, but I can’t build same project in Release mode.
Can you explain how to build the vtk-Dicom within VTK8.0 with Qt5.6 of msvc2015 ???
I don’t know set what gdcm_dir in configuration of CMAKE Cross Compile.

Instead of setting GDCM_DIR to GDCM’s path/Debug/lib/GDCM-2.8.0`, try just using GDCM’s path instead. It also has GDCMConfig.cmake. You might have to update to a later version of GDCM, for example gdcm-2.8.9.

@dgobbi
I tried the way you told me, but an error occurred as shown in the picture.(gdcm_dir = gdcm-2.8.9’s cross compile’s directory)

What should I do if I do vtk-Dicom separately without configuring VTK?
Is the latest version of vtk-Dicom source compatible with vtk8.0?

There was a QVTKWidget in VTK8.0, but it disappeared in VTK9.1?

Those are link errors, so in the Visual Studio project, please check that the GDCM libraries (especially gdcmMSFF) are being linked. You can also open your CMakeCache.txt in a text editor and search for gdcmMSFF, it should be listed as one of the dependencies of vtkDICOM.

The latest version of vtk-dicom is source compatible with VTK 7.x, VTK 8.x, and VTK 9.x.

For the QVTKWidget, see the topic yet-another-qvtkopenglwidget-renaming.

@dgobbi
Thank you for reply.
I check GDCM libraries(gdcmMSFF) in CMakeCache.txt in VTK cross compile result directory.

//Dependencies for the target
vtkDICOM_LIB_DEPENDS:STATIC=general;vtkIOImage;general;vtkIOSQL;general;vtkImagingCore;general;vtksys;general;vtkzlib;general;gdcmMSFF;general;gdcmIOD;general;gdcmDSED;general;gdcmDICT;

Do you mean VTK cross compile’s result ?? when I configure VTK8.0 with GDCM2.8.9 in CMake GDCM_DIR = GDCM2.8.9’s cross compile result directory.

You can also open your CMakeCache.txt in a text editor and search for gdcmMSFF, it should be listed as one of the dependencies of vtkDICOM.

Please explain what you mean by “cross-compile” in this context.

@dgobbi
I mean cross-compile is process of configure and generate via CMAKE-GUI.
I solved this problem. The reason of error is GDCM’s install.cmake can’t find VTK’s dll directory!
Thanks you , your commnet is very helpful for me.