Is there an easy vtkTexture shallow copy from vtkOBJImporter to a vtkClipClosedSurface or a vtkFrustumSource

This old site has described an import/export method, but I suspect there must be an easier generic way of handling this common task in libvtk. As the initial texture/map is not being modified, it makes sense someone likely encountered this performance constraint already at some point.

I am trying to tile planes created by clipping an obj file, extract the texture mapped edge color/alpha information, and create a mine-craft style voxel world (similar method to vtkMarchingSquares).

As the memory requirement balloons rather quickly, I am planning to only keep 3 planes resident while decomposing the 3D obj into a smaller set of colored glyphs.

My current horrible design will apply vtkImageHistogram to the rendered camera/light angles perpendicular to each face in the 3D region of interest (cut surfaces are filled with black polygons), and use the dominant RGB histograms to down-sample the texture information.

This is not going to win any speed or beauty contests, but should work for my toy project. :wink:

Cheers,
J

Examples I am currently looking at:
TextureCutSphere
ClipClosedSurface
ClipFrustum

The following does not work as expected, and is based on the ClipClosedSurface Example:
`

vtkActor* actor = actors->GetNextActor(); //parsing obj actors with textures

vtkPolyData* polyDataTmp = dynamic_cast<vtkPolyData*>(actor->GetMapper()->GetInput());

auto localCenter = polyDataTmp->GetCenter();
	vtkNew<vtkPlane> planeClip1;

planeClip1->SetOrigin(localCenter[COORDS_X], localCenter[COORDS_Y], localCenter[COORDS_Z]);

planeClip1->SetNormal(0.0, -1.0, 0.0);

vtkNew<vtkPlane> planeClip2;

planeClip2->SetOrigin(localCenter[COORDS_X], localCenter[COORDS_Y], localCenter[COORDS_Z]);

planeClip2->SetNormal(0.0, 0.0, 1.0);

vtkNew<vtkPlane> planeClip3;

planeClip3->SetOrigin(localCenter[COORDS_X], localCenter[COORDS_Y], localCenter[COORDS_Z]);

planeClip3->SetNormal(-1.0, 0.0, 0.0);

vtkNew<vtkPlaneCollection> planeClips;

planeClips->AddItem(planeClip1);

planeClips->AddItem(planeClip2);

planeClips->AddItem(planeClip3);

vtkNew<vtkClipClosedSurface> clipper;

clipper->SetInputData(polyDataTmp);

clipper->SetClippingPlanes(planeClips);

clipper->SetActivePlaneId(2);

clipper->SetScalarModeToColors();

//clipper->SetClipColor(colors->GetColor3d("Banana").GetData());

//clipper->SetBaseColor(colors->GetColor3d("Tomato").GetData());

//clipper->SetActivePlaneColor(colors->GetColor3d("Blue").GetData());

vtkNew<vtkDataSetMapper> clipMapper;

clipMapper->SetInputConnection(clipper->GetOutputPort());

vtkNew<vtkActor> clipActor;

clipActor->SetMapper(clipMapper);

clipActor->GetProperty()->SetColor(1.0000, 0.3882, 0.2784);

clipActor->GetProperty()->SetInterpolationToFlat();

vtkSmartPointer<vtkTexture> texture = actor->GetTexture(); //todo: fix shallow copy of vtkTexture obj

clipActor->SetTexture(texture);

renderer->AddActor(clipActor); 
//no display of texture on new mesh slice

`