No module named 'vtkIOExodusPython' on Windows

Hello,

First time poster here. Let me know if this isn’t the correct section for my issue…

I am on Windows 10 64-bit using Python 3.7 and Anaconda. I’ve installed vtk v8.2.0 from the conda-forge channel on Anaconda and I’m receiving the following error:

I’ve had this problem before which I solved somehow but I can’t remember how. I’ve also installed VTK on many different machines and none of them have experienced this problem.

Looking for direction for how to trace this problem, assuming I need to check that the correct DLL is being loaded for vtkIOExodus.

Thanks,
Addison

2 Likes

same problem.

Same problem here.

Same problem here.

DLL load indicates that the directory with the dll is not included in the PATH environment variable. Please try this: find out where Conda installed the vtk .dlls, and add it to your path.

Resurrecting this old thread because I ran into the same problem on windows 10 machine.

I had narrowed down the issue to some weird interaction between h5py and vtk.

With an environment.yaml file like this:

channels:
- conda-forge
- defaults
dependencies:
- python =3.7
- vtk =8.2.0
- h5py =3.1.0

Then after conda env create, import vtk raised the same “ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘vtkIOExodusPython’” error. (And commenting out the h5py requirement fixed the problem.)

The weird thing is that conda create python=3.7 vtk=8.2.0 h5py=3.1.0 worked fine. Inspecting the two different environments, there were a couple of minor differenences in the h5py dependencies installed. I modified the environment file to pin the packages to match the working environment:

channels:
- conda-forge
- defaults
dependencies:
- python =3.7
- vtk =8.2.0
- h5py =3.1.0=nompi_py37h19fda09_100
- hdf4 =4.2.13=h0e5069d_1004
- hdf5 =1.10.6=nompi_h5268f04_1112

I have absolutely no idea why h5py is interfering with conda installing VTK, but figured I’d post this here in case it was useful for someone else.