Running VTK on a system with OpenGL version 1.1 or less

Hello, I first posted about this issue in Stack Overflow:

I am working on a project that uses QT and VTK. It works in several machines without any problems (including Mac OS). I tried to run it on a Surface Pro X and have been having issues with the OpenGL context. VTK throws the following error:

vtkGenericOpenGLRenderWindow (0CAD3408): GLEW could not be initialized: Missing GL version

The Microsoft website states that “Games and apps won’t work if they use a version of OpenGL greater than 1.1” for the Surface Pro X. Has anyone encountered this issue before elsewhere? Thanks in advanced.

Maybe you can try building VTK with a software renderer, such as Mesa. It may make VTK too slow, though. Also, the x86 emulation layer on the X only supports 32-bit applications. So, you cannot do much on this computer anyway. I would recommend to get a regular Surface Pro instead.

Indeed, mesa is the only way here.

If you’re willing to downgrade to an older VTK version, up until version 8.1.2 VTK supported the “OpenGL” backend (option VTK_RENDER_BACKEND) which only required OpenGL version 1.1. Surface Pro X has an ARM processor, right? Never tried this on that architecture, though, so no guarantees it will work!

Thank you all for the responses. Since I just got the Surface X, I went and returned it. For what I need, I better use the Surface 7 instead.

Hi I am having what I think is a similar issue. I have tried many things - too many to list. I have given up on Anaconda and gone for e fresh install running Python from the command prompt. So far I have found that :
VTK v9 wheel will not install under Python 3.9 so have installed Python 3.8

Running a simple example I get :

2020-11-06 17:14:33.758 ( 0.313s) [ ]vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWin:635 ERR| vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow (0000020DA5C81D40): failed to get wglChoosePixelFormatARB
2020-11-06 17:14:33.790 ( 0.345s) [ ]vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWin:713 ERR| vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow (0000020DA5C81D40): failed to get valid pixel format.
2020-11-06 17:14:33.802 ( 0.357s) [ ]vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.c:569 ERR| vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow (0000020DA5C81D40): GLEW could not be initialized: Missing GL version

This message is now very familiar to me !! but what does it mean ?

Following this link I installed PyOpenGL 3.1.5 and PyOpenGL-accelerate 3.1.5.

Same issue ! Do I conclude that my graphics card is incompatible ? How can I check and what can I do to fix that ??

What can I do to move on ? What other information do I need to supply ?

Thank in anticipation - Jerry

Are you using OpenGL 1.1 ? if not your problem is different. Please open your own thread.