Stymied by "Unrecognized OpenGL version" error on Ubuntu

I’m building an application using Qt, and have successfully added some VTK functionality on a Macbook, but when I tried to install and use VTK in my Ubuntu environment, I receive the runtime error: Unrecognized OpenGL version.

While I was installing VTK from source, and during cmake compilation of my application, I received warnings to the tune of

runtime library [libGL.so.1] in /usr/lib/x86_64_linux-gnu may be hidden by files in /usr/lib/nvidia-384

Running glxinfo | version confirms that my graphics card provides hardware support, and a simple glut test I found on another forum gives me the following information:

GL_VENDOR  NVIDIA Corporation
GL_RENDERER  Quadro P4000/PCIe/SSE2
GL_VERSION 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.310
GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION 4.5.0 NVIDIA

I’ve installed VTK 8.90. Is there possibly just an incompatibility between this vendor’s version of OpenGL and this version of VTK?

I followed the following thread for the better part of a day, and tried following several suggestions while compiling VTK, but it did not resolve the warnings about the OpenGL version.

https://discourse.paraview.org/t/cannot-generate-a-safe-runtime-search-path-for-target-vtkrenderingopengl2/1162

Thanks!