vtk build issue with QT and python wrapping

(Abhishek Venkataram) #1

hi, i was trying to build vtk with QT and python wrappings turned on. The build completed successfully and even installation, but when i do import vtk in python i get error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/vtkmodules/vtkRenderingQt.py”, line 5, in
from .vtkRenderingQtPython import *
ImportError: dlopen(/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/vtkmodules/vtkRenderingQtPython.so, 2): Library not loaded: @rpath/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/5/QtWidgets
Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/libvtkRenderingQt-8.2.1.dylib
Reason: Incompatible library version: libvtkRenderingQt-8.2.1.dylib requires version 5.12.0 or later, but QtWidgets provides version 5.11.0

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File “/Users/abhishek/Documents/python/spectre-v5/Spectre.py”, line 14, in
from controllers.ScanController import ScanController
File “/Users/abhishek/Documents/python/spectre-v5/controllers/ScanController.py”, line 6, in
import vtk
File “/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/vtk.py”, line 32, in
all_spec.loader.exec_module(all_m)
File “/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/vtkmodules/all.py”, line 100, in
from .vtkRenderingQt import *
File “/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/vtkmodules/vtkRenderingQt.py”, line 9, in
from vtkRenderingQtPython import *
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘vtkRenderingQtPython’

how can i fix this problem?

Thanks

(Ben Boeckel) #2

You’ve built against a Qt 5.12, but at runtime, 5.11 is being found. The first error comes from the dynamic loader. The second is Python’s reaction to the loader saying “no”.

(Abhishek Venkataram) #3

hi, i installed PyQt 5.12.2 and also built vtk with Qt 5.12.2, then i get this error when i try to run import vtk

File “/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/vtkmodules/vtkRenderingQt.py”, line 5, in

*from .vtkRenderingQtPython import **

ImportError: dlopen(/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/vtkmodules/vtkRenderingQtPython.so, 2): Library not loaded: @rpath/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/5/QtWidgets

Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/libvtkRenderingQt-8.2.1.dylib

Reason: image not found

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File “/Users/abhishek/Documents/python/test/read_vtk.py”, line 1, in

import vtk

File “/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/vtk.py”, line 32, in

all_spec.loader.exec_module(all_m)

File “/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/vtkmodules/all.py”, line 100, in

*from .vtkRenderingQt import **

File “/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/vtkmodules/vtkRenderingQt.py”, line 9, in

*from vtkRenderingQtPython import **

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘vtkRenderingQtPython’

have i missed some flag? both *vtkRenderingQtPython.so and *libvtkRenderingQt-8.2.1.dylib are in the paths above, what is the reason for image not found error?

thanks

(Ben Boeckel) #4

It’s saying that it can’t find QtWidgets based on the information available in vtkRenderingQtPython.so. It’s probably missing an LC_RPATH command entry. This can be fixed by adding the path to the Qt frameworks to the CMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH and/or CMAKE_BUILD_RPATH variable(s) when building VTK depending on which you’re using in the end.

(Abhishek Venkataram) #5

hi, if i try to run from vtkpython exec that was created in the build bin folder it works fine, so i tried to copy the contents of site-packages folder to anaconda root site-packages folder from that point on i am getting

Fatal Python error: PyThreadState_Get: no current thread

i am not able to understand how it is running fine from the vtkpython exec but not if i open a python terminal and try running it, it’s the same version of python in both cases, 3.6.5

thanks

(Ben Boeckel) #6

Seems that Dan answered this specific question here: using vtk 8.2.0 with python wrappings with anaconda

(Abhishek Venkataram) #7

hi,

in this case i am getting ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘vtkRenderingQtPython’ error, in the other case i am getting a different error, i thought since the errors were different i had to open different topics.

hence 2 different posts

Thanks

(Ben Boeckel) #8

Ah, I see. If you’re seeing the Qt loader errors, that is the root problem. You’ll need to change CMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH and CMAKE_BUILD_RPATH to include the path to your Qt installation to make the @rpath/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/5/QtWidgets library lookup work.