vtk compile error on embedded linux

hello,
I want to use the vtk library on the am5728 (armv7 core, run linux operating system) chip
and use cmake-gui for cross-compilation on Ubuntu.
The compiler prompts: system is unknown to make, for arm_linux_gnueabihf, that vtk does not support the use of arm linux? If I want to use it, what should I do with it? thank you!

Cross compilation should be supported. First, you’ll need to make the compile tools to run on the host. That can be done with the VTK_BUILD_COMPILE_TOOLS_ONLY flag. You should then be able to point VTK at that and the rest of the build go fine. This is how the Android and iOS builds are set up.

Do you have more information? CMake flags? Error output?

Cc: @Chuck_Atkins @ken-martin

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

Download the vtk-7.1.1 source code, compile using cmake-gui(version: 3.12.2),
the configuration information is as follows:

during the compilation process, report the following error:

please help see what caused it? How should I modify it? Thank you!

Oh, I’m not familiar enough with 7.1.1 to know off-hand anymore. It certainly won’t work the way I described.

One thing I see is that the target OS should just be “Linux”. I’d first try getting a simple project to work with the cross-compiling and then re-use the settings that work for it for VTK.

I’m sorry to bother you, but for cmake and vtk, I’m a new person. The problem is still unresolved. Could you please take a look at it for me?
I need to use the vtk library on am5728 (CPU: armv7-based architecture, running the linux system),
download the VTK-8.2.0 source code, compile it using cmake (version 3.12.2),
and write the toolchain.cmake file, as follows:
SET(CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER /home/tronlong/ti-processor-sdk-linux-am57xx-evm-03.01.00.06/linux-devkit/sysroots/x86_64-arago-linux/usr/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++)
SET(CMAKE_C_COMPILER /home/tronlong/ti-processor-sdk-linux-am57xx-evm-03.01.00.06/linux-devkit/sysroots/x86_64-arago-linux/usr/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc)
SET(BUILID_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL ON)
SET(CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE Release)
SET(CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX /home/tronlong/ti-processor-sdk-linux-am57xx-evm-03.01.00.06/linux-devkit/sysroots/armv7ahf-neon-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib)
SET(CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME Linux -DCMAKE_EXE_LINKER=-lGLESv2)
SET(CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH /home/tronlong/3d_lib/VTK-8.2.0)

Compile with cmake-DMKAE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=toolchain.cmake and report the following error:
[root@tl VTK-8.2.0]# cmake -DMKAE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=toolchain.cmake
CMake Error at CMake/vtkCrossCompiling.cmake:24 (find_package):
By not providing “FindVTKCompileTools.cmake” in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this
project has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
“VTKCompileTools”, but CMake did not find one.

Could not find a package configuration file provided by “VTKCompileTools”
with any of the following names:

VTKCompileToolsConfig.cmake
vtkcompiletools-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of “VTKCompileTools” to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or
set “VTKCompileTools_DIR” to a directory containing one of the above files.
If “VTKCompileTools” provides a separate development package or SDK, be
sure it has been installed.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:54 (include)

– Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also “/home/tronlong/3d_lib/VTK-8.2.0/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
[root@tl VTK-8.2.0]#

sorry, for VTK,cmake, I’m anewcomers。
do FindVTKCompileTools.cmake and VTKCompileToolsConfig.cmake files need to be written by myself?
Can you provide a sample reference?
I would be very appreciated if you could help me through this issue.

This should be -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE.

Umm. -D flags don’t belong here.

I suggest getting a small CMake program to compile using your toolchain first. Once it works there, VTK can then be worked on. However, first, you will need to compile VTKCompileTools for your the build machine. I don’t remember the steps for that in 8.2. @ken-martin Is that documented somewhere?