VTK example

Hello everyone,

I’m new with vtk and in this forum.
I have a question about the example on the website of VTK like this example : https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/Cxx/IO/JPEGWriter/

I use cmake-gui : for the source folder I choose the folder where the cmakefile is here and I create an other folder for the build.
Before that I create an other folder and in this folder I compile vtk (git clone etc.)
When I go in the JPEGWriter/build and I do make nothing append ! When i say nothing append, it’s like you do a “ls” on a empty folder, nothing appends.
So I havn’t an exec to run the example.
Maybe i forget an instruction ?

Thanks for your help !

AmBou99

Was the configure step of the example successful ?

I try something and now it works !
But i don’t think it is normal.
I have a folder VTK (there are many thing in this folder because I clone with the git)
In this folder I create a folder vtk-build (empty folder).
I extract the JPEGWriter.tar and if I follow the instructions I need to go in the folder build : /JPEGWriter/build
When I am in build I have two choice : 1) if VTK is installed or 2) not installed but compiled somewhere
I am in the choice 2, so I do that : cmake -DVTK_DIR:PATH=/home/me/vtk_build …

If I do that in the build folder I have this message :
No source or binary directory provided. Both will be assumed to be the
same as the current working directory, but note that this warning will
become a fatal error in future CMake releases.

CMake Error: The source directory “blabla/JPEGWriter/build” does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.
Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.

But if I do that in JPEGWriter (so I don’t enter in the folder build) it works, I do make and I have a run.

Is it normal ?

Thanks for your answer !

you have to point to your source dir.

cd build
cmake …/